Ogilvy’s Wellington renaissance has been significantly enhanced with the acquisition of Frank Advertising in a move to increase its credentials and create a full-service agency.
Back in May, Ogilvy announced its re-emergence into the Wellington after a ten-year absence through the purchase of boutique agency Persuasion Ltd.
Since then, Managing Director, Livia Esterhazy has been working to fast track the growth of Ogilvy Wellington in order to deliver Ogilvy’s globally renowned 360 degree brand stewardship proposition.
“The acquisition of Frank Advertising is an exciting and inspired move for our business moving forward,” says Esterhazy.
“Not only do we share a similar philosophy of inclusiveness towards clients, but they bring a respected and credible creative and interactive offering to Ogilvy Wellington. In addition, their extensive in-house studio and production facilities will boost our capacity.
“Combined with our existing media and strategic capabilities under Julie Powell, we are confident in being able to offer Wellington something it has not seen before.”
Ogilvy New Zealand acquired a 35% stake in Frank from joint shareholders, Alister Shennan and Paul Irwin, while the remaining 65% is still owned by the STW Group Australia.
Paul Irwin will stay on as General Manager, while Managing Director, Alister Shennan and his family plan to relocate to Australia.
Irwin said about becoming part of the Ogilvy network: “I spent the first seven years of my career as an Ogilvy client in New Zealand and London and am excited to be involved with such an illustrious brand once again. From my perspective Ogilvy is the international agency that best gets – and delivers – the integrated model Frank’s been promoting to clients. Now, with in-house media and access to Auckland’s specialist resources in direct, database, PR and interactive, we’ll have an even stronger offering in Wellington.”
Frank Advertising bring a client-base to the Ogilvy network, including the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA), SolNet Solutions Ltd, MetService, SPCA New Zealand, Bernina, New Zealand Aluminium Smelters and Environment Canterbury. Additionally, Frank has a particularly strong profile in Wellington’s government sector, having completed an extensive range of branding and advertising contracts for government departments and agencies in the past two years.
Ogilvy Wellington will operate out of Frank’s existing Tory Street premises, increasing its head count to 26.
Ogilvy New Zealand has acquired a 35% shareholding in Frank, with the remaining 65% still owned by the STW Group Australia. Therefore Ogilvy Wellington is now jointly owned by Ogilvy New Zealand and the STW Group Australia, the same shareholding ratio as Ogilvy Auckland.